Healthy Futures: Redefining Prevention, formerly Substance Abuse: A Community Response, is a conference for prevention & treatment professionals, school & district staff, nonprofit administrators & programs, community organizers, and anyone else who is interested in learning and sharing about innovative community responses to youth substance abuse, mental health, and other barriers to health and success for youth. TOGETHER!'s commitment to cross-sector collaboration extends to Healthy Futures, where we bring representatives from different fields, with a focus on amplifying youth voices, to learn from each other and coordinate approaches to solving problems in our community, together. Join us in April 2019 for an invigorating, inspiring, and innovative conference!
TOGETHER! is accepting proposals for presentations that redefine prevention within the four focus areas of Educational Equity, Addiction in Context, Building Community Resiliency, and Health & Wellness for our 2019 Healthy Futures Conference. Please follow this link to fill out our Call for Proposals. The survey will close on Monday, December 21, 2018 at 5pm. We will respond to all proposals by Friday, January 18th, 2019.
Proposals must fit within at least one of the following four focus areas:
- Educational Equity: All people deserve equal access to education, but inequality is built into the system. How do we, as educators, social workers, prevention specialists, and support staff, work to correct these inequalities? How do we change the systems that allow some students to succeed while others slip through the cracks? What elements are necessary in an equitable education system? What role does trauma play in educational equity?
- Addiction in Context: Science has proven that addiction does not happen in a vacuum. Environmental factors like ACEs, toxic stress, lack of resiliency, lack of supportive relationships or community, all increase the likelihood of substance abuse and addiction in young people as they grow into adults. What can the world of prevention learn from this research? How can we incorporate this new understanding into our approach to preventing substance abuse and addiction?
- Building Community Resiliency: Resilient communities save lives. What innovative partnerships are you building that strengthen your community? How do community involvement and community relationships impact the youth you work with? What strategies can we learn and incorporate into our work that will strengthen ourselves and the communities we work with?
- Health and Wellness: Health is a lot more than what happens at the doctor’s office, especially in a world where healthcare is becoming less and less accessible. How are you making healthcare accessible to your community? And, how can we take care of ourselves in the midst of compassion fatigue and vicarious trauma?
Successful proposals will:
- Fit within a 75 or 90 minute time slot
- Challenge us to think about prevention in a new way
- Draw connections between fields and sectors to create innovation solutions
- Feature youth voices
- Bring equity to the forefront
THANK YOU to our 2018 Healthy Futures sponsors!